Monday, January 30, 2012

It's Greek to Me!

  I've been making my own yogurt for awhile now.  I use a crockpot recipe, and it's pretty good.  Since it's homemade, it's a little on the runny side.  Makes you wonder what they do to the store bought ones to make them thick.  A while back I read how to make Greek yogurt but just never did it.  It's super easy and yummy!  After making the yogurt, you just drain the yogurt in a cheesecloth for 8 hrs (do it for 24 hrs, and it becomes cream cheese!).  I didn't have a cheesecloth, so I cut an old pillowcase in half.  It worked well.
Here's my yogurt draining.
 Here is all the leftover whey:
  That's a lot of whey!  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.  It's good for months and full of nutrients.  I've done some research, and I can make soda, replace water in recipes, bathe with it.  Right now I just add some to my juices and drink it.  Tomorrow I'm going to soak some oats and then cook it.  Suppose to make oatmeal much more nutitrious.  I'm such there will be more posts on what I end up doing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment